Front view of sweater.
Multiple smaller dragons flying up to re-ignite the sun. Dragons knit from orange-red yarn for wings, and green yarn for body. Background in the sock yarn from Paton.
Back view. The eclipsed sun is on the left shoulder.
Some photos of the sweater in progress:
The basic sweater was worked in the round, using “Singing the Blues” sock yarn. Each small dragon was knit up in three pieces, two wings, and the body, joined together, then worked into the body of the sweater. In this photo, I have the work in progress laid out on the blocking mats deciding where to place the additional dragon, and where to fill in with short rows
In this shot, I have started to connect the dragon to the main body of the sweater using short rows, and have filled in around the left hand wing of the larger dragon.
In essence, the piece is worked in this fashion, doing the front and back separately and leaving openings for the sleeves and the neck. There are 5 dragons and the eclipsed sun in the final sweater.
This shawl uses short rows to make an image and is then filled in using more short rows and circles.
The inspiration for the design was the solar eclipse of this summer. The story is that when the eclipse happened, dragons flew aloft and breathed their fire to re-ignite the dark sun.
It must have worked.
Here are some details of the pattern. After the knitting was done, I embellished it with some crocheted and stitched work, using metallic threads for fire and eyes.
Here are some details of embellishments:
This shows the metallic yarns used for the dragon’s eye, mouth, and fire breath.
These show the crocheted edge along wings and body to accentuate the sculptural look of the dragon. Also, legs were added by crochet.
This piece is knitted from the center of the somewhat abstract bird like figure, done in a golden sock yarn, which shades gradually to an orange color. I took advantage of the color changes to make the body of the animal in one color and the wings in a different shade.
Once the animal motif was completed, the ground was filled in using a dark charcoal sock yarn. Lots of short rows and circles, of course.
Here are some detail photos of the shawl to show the construction.
This shows the center of the body of the animal. This was created by casting on maybe 20 stitches, then knitting into the back of the cast on stitches and then around to create a circular knit, which was a distorted circle. Then short rows to make a more ovoid shape. Then more short rows for base of wings, and so forth.
Here you can see more of the construction of the “bird” as well as the use of small circles and short rows in the background. You can also see how the color gradation of the yarn was used, and the use of the pattern repeats in the short rows to create feather like patterns in the wings.
This is a photo of the finished shawl on the blocking mats.