The Mount Washington is an excursion boat sailing in the summers on New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee.
The first Mount Washing ton (the “Old Mount” to locals), was a steam powered side wheeler built in 1872 in Alton Bay, NH.
The Mount was 187 feetlong, with a beam of 49 feet driven by a single cylinder walking beam steam engine of 450 horsepower that operated at approximately 26 RPM.
She was built by the Boston and Main Railroad to transport cargo and passengers around the lake. In the 1920s, with declining train usage, the Boston and Maine Railroad Co. sold the steamer to Captain Leander Lavallee. Captain Lavallee operated the Mount as a tourist attraction, still drawing crowds of over 60,000 a season.
The “Old Mount” burned at her winter dock in 1939 when a fire on the land spread to the dock. Shortly afterward, a local company planned a replacement. Steel shortages from the war in Europe resulted in the purchase of the Chateaugay (203 feet), a iron hull sidewheeler. The ship was cut apart and transported to the lake by rail and converted to a screw-driven steam powered vessel in Lakeport, and debuted in August of 1940.
Since then the current day Mount has undergone conversion to diesel power and extensive modifications to the hull which has been enlarged and made more luxurious.
This model is of the Old Mount as she might have looked in the early 1900s, while still owned and operated by the Boston and Maine Railroad. Photo documentation from that time show the vessel crowded with passengers, and that is how she is modeled.
Following are some pictures of the finished model, then some of the work in progress.
Work in progress: